Sunday, October 11, 2009

Not much to report today, 'cept I don't get to see my sweet girl.

Flara did well through the night and today on her SiPap. She only had one time where she dropped her heart rate and one separate event where she dropped her oxygen levels. The doctor decided to go ahead and give her more blood to help her with the events she had been having the day before... and to ward off more from happening. Her red blood cell count wasn't too horribly low, and hadn't changed much since before her last transfusion a couple days prior, but he thought it would be good to give her a little extra help.

Flara's feedings were increased to 6mL/hr... still running continuously via the feeding tube that runs into her small intestine. The amount of fortification was recently increased, too, to help her fatten up a bit quicker.

Flara's infection continues to improve. Her lab work looked much, much better today than it had the past couple of days. Although antibiotics are helping to reduce her infection, pulling her central line gave her a big boost in getting better faster. I'm very thankful the doc made the decision to go ahead and take it out. =) One of her antibiotics was discontinued, so she's only on one now.

Her current weight last night was 970 grams. She lost another 20 grams last night. Combined with the 10 gram loss the night prior, she is now at 2 lb 2 oz. This is expected, though, since she's been sick and fighting infection.

A friend at church brought Flara a very pretty homemade hat and blanket today! So sweet! Noël quickly grabbed the blanket out of the bag, announced "baby," then spread it out on the floor at church. The girl was ready for a nap! Unfortunately, the floor isn't too comfortable, so her nap was a failure. She's happily sleeping her afternoon away right now! (Which is what I need to be doing, too).

For some strange reason, I woke up this morning in a jolt at 0330. I lay WIDE awake for half an hour, then decided to get up. I spent some quality time with my good friend BP, then sat in the darkness on the couch for quite a while longer. Since I was awake, I used the time to be in prayer for Flara, a coworker's new grandbaby Gracie (born at 28 weeks gestation), and my family. When the clock hit 0530, I decided I needed to try to go back to bed. That wasn't so successful. I don't know how long I lay awake in the dark, but I finally conked out to be abruptly awakened by the alarm clock (I think that's what it was- maybe Mike?). Either way, it just didn't seem like nearly enough time. I was very exhausted at church, and still feel like a zombie!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Suzanne! We don't know each other, but I have been getting updates from Nicole - one of my very best friends - about Flara and you guys. You have been in our prayers and hopefully someday, we will get to meet you guys and your two beautiful little girls!! Until then, much love and many blessings to you and your family. We'll continue the prayers!! Thank you for keeping us updated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that whatever that thing is on her back is shaped like a heart. She is beautiful. I can't wait to be able to see her in person. We love all four of you and are praying for you. Love, Benjo & Bobby and Conner. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie- thanks SO much for your prayers! It is such a blessing to our family to know that people all over the country, including those we haven't even met, are praying for us and thinking about us! When we do venture to the great frozen North (haha!), we will have to all meet up!

    Bobby- I almost called you Beef! Her little heart is a sticky thing to hold her temperature probe in place. The girls cut it out into a heart- I think it's the sweetest thing ever! I'll have to start doing the same for my babies at work when I do return. We are really praying that she's home by her due date. Often, the reality of extreme preemies like Flara is that it's later, but we're hopeful. She's doing so well! =) Thanks for the prayers! You guys need to come visit soon!

    Much love, Suzanne =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Suzanne, we have never met. My name is Jody, my parents (Cindy and Dennis Hutchinson) told me of your story and Shawn Somerfield gave me the link to your blog. You are in my prayers and I will continue to follow sweet Flara's progress. My daughter was born at 26 weeks 3 years ago September and I know too well, the ups and downs you are going through. The blog was the only thing that kept me going at times. It became quite a stress relief to know that so many people were praying for our little girl and just wanted to be kept informed of her progress. As I am sure you know, the prayers that have been and will be, lifted up in Flara's name is hard to fathom. God is a Great God and her story will be one people will never forget. It will touch so many lives. Her story even though it is just beginning, is so much bigger than you will ever know. I have never been so blessed to be a part of something as special as my daughter's NICU journey. If you ever need anything, please feel free to contact me. My email address is southernattitude@comcast.net and thank you for sharing your blog.

    ReplyDelete