Monday, November 9, 2009

So happy!

Little Flara was able to try "non-nutritive" nursing today! I was so excited to get to try with her. I always feel bad for her being away from Mommy and worry about her bonding and feeling alone. Normally, I should have pumped right before so that we could be sure she wouldn't really be getting anything. The goal is that the babies will 'learn' and begin to make associations that will lead to successful nursing later. It had been 1 1/2 hours since pumping, so her nurse and I knew I'd have a bit of something. Little Flara vigorously latched on, and it didn't take long before I had a 'let-down.' I was afraid it would overwhelm her (she's never eaten anything orally before... ). Her little eyes opened and she got really big eyed! I thought, 'here comes the choking and the heart rate drop.' Nope. Wide-eyed, she made a big "gulp" and went right back to work. No heart rate drops, no oxygen drops. That's my girl! She lasted a solid 20 minutes, then zonked out. I was thrilled! She didn't make a peep when I had to put her back to bed. It was a good precursor for Daddy to come see her. He said she remained in a good little milk coma during his entire visit. I'm including some pictures. No worries... there is nothing visible in the pictures! =)

Little Flara is 33 weeks, 5 days and weighs 3 pounds, 9 ounces.


So sweet!

I'm super excited. I don't think it's very obvious. Yeah, right! (It was just as good for my bonding as it is for her!)

5 comments:

  1. Yay Flara !! Suzanne, the smile on your face is so wonderful ! I bet it feels good to be that excited after the journey you have traveled. We will continue to pray for these wonderful stepping stones to keep coming. And, Noel's pumping picture is absolutely priceless !!

    Crystal (Brock) Stuckwisch

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Crystal! Noël is a little goofball! I wish I could somehow add the sound effects she makes when she's pumping. It's hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are my favorite pictures. Just so sweet. She had to feel so good nuzzled up to mommy like that. Awwww.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Suzanne and Mike- Great pictures. I'm so glad she was finally able to nurse. We are thinking of you and praying for you! Marsha and Craig Thompson

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Cara! They are my favorite pictures, too! (And, probably, my favorite moment so far!)

    Marsha & Craig! It's so good to hear from you! Thank you for keeping up with us and for your prayers. Blessings to you! Congrats to you in Ashley's wedding! I saw pics on Mike's side. Such a beautiful bride! I kept thinking, too, what a beautiful dress she was wearing, and how unique. It was such a surprise to then see that she was wearing your dress! =)

    ReplyDelete