Monday, March 8, 2010

I'm wondering what's new?

Hmmm... it seems my mind cannot seem to come up with anything much to say.  The weather is perking up this week, and it makes my heart happy.  =)  The forecast is suggesting 67 on Thursday with an 80% chance of rain.  I won't mind the rain, though.  I've always been a fan... especially in warm weather.

Oh, I do know something!  My oldest sister Cara and her husband and young'n are heading into the area on Wednesday to celebrate their 11th wedding anniversary and take a little family vacation!!!!  I am so super excited to see them all.  It will be their first time meeting our little Flara, too!  While in the NICU, Flara could not have visitors outside of Daddy and Mommy and grandparents to control germ contact.  So, sharing our girl with family has been a long time coming!

Mike is recovering from the flu.  Yuck.  He had it last week, and thankfully, the rest of us avoided the bug. We were really praying against the girls and me contracting it, and it seems we'll be fine.  It did make for some rough days because we basically quarantined Mike away from us, which meant I had to wrangle completely unassisted two babes and a Dogg for half of a week.  EXHAUSTING.  I was feeling ultra crummy one day as well, so that made it even more difficult.  It took a lot of strength and prayer that God would get me through the days.

Speaking of me... dealing with my disease is not my favorite thing to do.  I am nearly one year and a half out from my diagnosis, but I still do not feel fully up to par.  During the worst phases, my muscles completely atrophied away (if you knew me before, you know how strong I was... parallel squatting 235 pounds!)... this happened as a result of the malabsorption issues.  As my body could not absorb nutrients, my fat was eaten away, when that was gone (not that I had much to start with, no thanks to the stupid disease), it then feasted on my muscles.  Poo on that.  But... alas!  Basically every body system was affected and I deal daily with the repercussions of that.  I think my biggie is anemia.  I recently read in an article that it takes 11 years on average for people with Celiac disease to begin absorbing iron at normal levels.  That's a long time to be tired and run-down.  One thing I particularly hate about it is that I can never get warm.  If I could describe how I feel, I would say that I feel like ice water literally pours through my body.  I will wear three layers of shirts, sweat pants, socks, slippers, a big bathrobe, and bury myself under three layers of blankets on my bed and STILL feel no relief from the ice water blood.  It's just plain miserable!  Add to that one baking hot Snoop curled up next to me.  Still cold!

That's a long-winded way to reintroduce mentioning how much this long winter is killing me.  Really, the only time I feel okay is when the temperature is 85 or above with at minimum 90% humidity.  I really loved my Indiana summers.  Hot, muggy, disgusting = me in heaven!  My Tennessee summers, since moving here three years ago, have not quite lived up to what I'm used to.  I definitely didn't get that when we lived in Chicago.  I think I can recall maybe 3 days where I felt it 'hot' enough to walk my booty to the beach to lay out, then upon getting there, would think, 'good grief, it's freezing.'  Needless to say, I never got a tan!

My mind did trigger today to a beloved lost doggy pal of mine... little Sassy Sue.  It's been two years since we lost her to total heart and lung failure, and it still makes me sad.  She was a real gem of a rascally little Jack Russell.  Thinking about the day we received the news, and the very rapid decline in her health, and those final days with her... not fun.  Mike and I had taken the girls to some fields across the river to us today to get some sunshine and a stroll in, and it made me think of little Sassers.  That field was one of her favorite places to go and run full steam away 'til she was just a little streaking white blip on the horizon, then come racing back with her little brown ears pinned to her head.  The old Snoop Dogg would be lagging waaay behind yipping like a girl dog because he was getting left behind.  (sigh)  Just good memories of a great little girl.  =)

There, I said I had nothing to say.  I think when I review my blog, I probably have some of the longest blog posts of most people I know!

Oh, come to think of it!  One last story... I have a great affection for gnomes.  =)  Apparently, so do my sisters and my cousins.  Many gnomes roam in our family.  But, I have never owned, er, caught my own gnome!  Honestly, Mike thought they were a bit silly and could never understand why I desired to have a little gnome hiding in my landscaping....

So, Saturday afternoon, I was laying in bed dreaming of eating a Klondike bar.  Okay, almost ready to eat a Klondike bar.  But, I woke up... or was woken up!  So disappointing.  I got up grudgingly to let Snoop out to potty, and there on top of my steps sat a GNOME!!!!  A happy springy gnome with flowers in his hand.  Think me weird, but gnome told me his name is Bob.  =)  I was quite delighted and snatched him up.  I have good suspicions who set a gnome loose on my property!  I texted a picture to Mike to show him.  I'm sure he was quite thrilled.

Fast forward to evening... it was dark out, but my outside lights were on.  I looked out the office window, and I saw something light colored peeking above the grass next to my mailbox.  It was too dark and too distant to fully tell what it was, but I thought it was trash.  Upon further squinting my eyes, I thought perhaps it could be the pointed top of yet another gnome!  Surely not!  I ran outside, and it was a gnome!  With that gnome in my hand, I turned and walked up my driveway, and jumped because I caught another set of gnome eyes peering at me from inside my landscaping.  Oh, purely delightful!  I caught that gnome, too, and thought I had caught the whole gang.  As I headed into the garage, I laughed out loud when I saw a FOURTH gnome hanging from my trash bin!  All I can say is 'wow!'  I haven't managed to get the names out of the other three gnomes, but I'm sure it'll come soon.  Happily, I can report that Noël loves her little gnome family as much as I do.  She carries them all around the house.  Proudly.

And, now that I'm sure you're all convinced I'm truly crazy... hahaha!!!!  Oh, well!  I'm me, and that's the way I am!  The gnomes were actually a real treat because I was actually having my hardest physical day as mentioned [paragraphs] above.  I felt like I could not push through any longer, and I was sad and aching and tired beyond words.  God knew I needed a little pick-me-up, so he sent some friends to brighten my day through a funny little group of gnome people.

Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment